Summer ending is bittersweet. For what seems like a brief moment, I’ve had my kids back, away from the daily influence and pressures of academic and social life. I’ve enjoyed spending time with them, even though at times, I couldn’t do enough to entertain them. As summer heat fades way too soon, I see they are ready to go back. Already, fall activities are creeping into our schedule.
Bittersweet for me.
Even though I’ve squeezed in work in the early morning and late at night, it’s goodbye to relaxed evenings and lazy mornings. Soon I’ll be back to making lunches at 6 a.m. when I can barely function.
In just another week, the kids will be gone, and I’ll be starting new projects while finishing up older ones. As summer ends, I’m finding inspiration, encouragement and exitement.
1. I’m proofing the young adult Real Girls Don’t Rust Steampunk Anthology, edited by Jennifer Carson. She’s my friend, critique partner, and an editor at Spencer Hill Press. She has an amazing eye for good work.
2. Karen A. Hooper paid for a Bookbub ad for Taking Back Forever. Watching her book skyrocket up the charts made me realize anything is possible and the sky’s the limit. Same with Sue Quinn’s serial: The Debt Collector, which is sitting on my Kindle, taunting me with its wonderful prose and gritty characters.
3. I’ve seen Indie friends sign with agents and court publishers, though that doesn’t seem as paramount to their success as an author.
4. I’m excited for Christina Lee’s New Adult debut, All of You, release this fall.
5. My blogging friend, Stina Lindenblatt signed with an agent and penned a book deal.
6. My crit partner and friend, Kris Asselin signed with agent, Kat Rushall.
7. Magan Vernon released a YA contemporary romance, Life, Love and Lemons, which I can’t wait to read.
8. Leigh T. Moore revealed her cover for Watercolor, the third book in the Dragonfly series.
I know I’ve forgotten someone or something, but there’s a lot to celebrate and encourage me as summer ends and I head into another season of writing and publishing.
What inspires you? Share a friend’s or your good news in the comments!