I debated writing about emotion but that is such a loaded word when it comes to our writing. And we’re supposed to keep this brief.
I honestly don’t know how writers go it alone without a critique group or online support from other bloggers. All of you – yeah I mean you – have enriched my life and kept me going – and blogging.
But how can we encourage our fellow writers?
- Send virtual cookies or chocolate when needed.
- When critiquing – always make sure to include a lot of positive, because a crit only filled with criticism can be pretty discouraging.
- Support other writers by reading their books and writing reviews, by tweeting their links and their blog posts.
- Say hi on Twitter and @reply to their tweets.
- Comment on their blogs with a smile!
- Use crazy hashtags to make them smile.
A big thanks to all of you who encourage me every week – even when you don’t mean to!
I should also say something about this vicious cycle most writers go through – the ups and downs. One day feeling super encouraged and the next day like our writing totally sucks and our dreams are impossible. You never know when your virtual smile will make someone’s day!
We’ve all been there. I’ve been there. Sometimes once a day. Try and ignore it and see it as part of the cycle.
How do you deal with those down days? How do you encourage others?