Humongous thanks and a big basketful of confetti and a time slot on the Morning Show and a life time supply of chocolate for the founders of WriteonCon! Jamie Harrington, Elana Johnson, Casey McCormick, Shannon Messenger, Lisa and Laura Roecker, and Jennifer Stayrook. Find out more about them here. Seriously, this website will become the new go-to for writers. Thank you for all your hard work behind the scenes.
Also, a huge thanks to all the editors and agents who volunteered their time to present! Find out more about them here. And thank you to the authors/writers who presented!
Phew! I had to get that off my chest.
Reasons I loved WriteonCon:
- I could “attend” all the workshops and didn’t have to choose!
- I wore my jammies and didn’t have to put on any make up.
- Hopefully, the material will be online forever, instead of just on some handouts or scribbled notes.
- The organizers did a super job making sure there was something for everyone! And I loved that.
- Um, I didn’t have to pay? Yeah, that’s a good one.
A few of my personal favorite moments and take aways: (this is according to what I write and what I’m interested in – all the presentations were awesome. But I just don’t write picture books (Not yet) or illustrate (Never).
- The vlog of Myths and Misconceptions by Holly Root, Molly O’Neil, and Marth Mihalick. Must see.
- The live chat with Suzie Townsend.
- Writing a query letter with Jodi Meadows.
- Query crits with Joanna Volpe.
- Plot and pacing with Weronika Janczuk (I was in plotting heaven!) (And yes, I had to check about four times to make sure I spelled her name right.)
- Vlog by Lindsey Leavitt. (Hilarious!)
- Writing dialogue with Tom Leveen.
- An Editor’s process of choosing with Martha Mihalick.
- Vlog with Mary Kole on Avoiding Stereotypical Characters.
- Author branding with Shelli Johannes Wells
- First Five Pages with Kathleen Ortiz (lots to be learned).
- Live workshop with Regina Brooks.
- Any of the live chats or panels with agents and editors. Especially if you are researching agents to query.
As you can tell and see through twitter and blogs, Writeoncon totally rocked the blogosphere.
Which workshop or presentation did you enjoy? What stayed with you? (Some comments and topics stayed with me but that’s for another time.)
Praise GOD for so many blessings!
Thanks for sharing, too.
It was so much fun! There was something to be learned in all the sessions, but I think the first five pages was one of the most interesting.
I’ve REALLY been enjoying WriteOnCon when I get a chance to drop in. I LOVE that they are posting everything to the site so that you can come and read at your convenience.
You are so right about all the scribbled notes you have when you leave a conference. Ha.
Have a great weekend, Laura. 🙂
since I had to work, I was unable to attend, but thank you SO much for your awesome wrap up. I have a list now of what I want to go check out.
I also liked the comments on characters by Mandy Hubbard. There are still a number of things I want to check out. I just think the whole idea was SO excellent!
It was epic! There’s still a few vlogs I have to watch from yesterday and I’m behind on the agent chats. But at least I still get to watch them. 😀
You nailed it, Laura! I loved that it was all at my convenience!
Thanks for sharing! Wasn’t able to attend but hoping to take a peek at some of the goodies if they stay on the site.
The whole thing was awesome. I’m amazed by how much they were able to pull together in such a short time. Plenty there to refer back to in the coming months.
It was truly amazing!
There are too many wonderful panels/posts to list!
Very generous of all the people involved to donate so much time and energy into it!
Don’t worry the site’s not going anywhere! We have big plans for that thing–and I was so busy with the conference that I haven’t even read everything yet.
Thank you so much for being a part of writeoncon!
Thanks for stopping by everyone! I have family in town but will try and visit you all next week! 🙂
I learned so much from this conference and I also hit it early in the mornings in my jammies with a cup of coffee. What a great way to start the day! I’ll be visiting the site frequently to review and to discover for the first time.