Publishing is changing fast and so is the way we market books! I chose to do a reverse blog tour.
Many writers who choose to publish independently are faced with choosing marketing strategies. Do you do the blog tour or not do the blog tour? Because there are a lot of opinions out there.
It’s a given that if you publish traditionally and are starting out that a blog tour is a must because sales in the first few weeks are crucial. A burst of sales is terrific for any book but with self publishing we have time for a story to build and spread. Blog tours are optional. Marketing is even optional – if you want to risk it.
Here are the different scenarios I’ve seen:
- Author rarely blogs or promotes. Book takes off.
- Author works her butt off to market and promote and it pays off with decent sales but as soon as the marketing stops, the sales decrease dramatically. It never took off.
- Author completes every marketing act known to mankind and never reaches the desired sales count. (Not to say that it won’t happen later.)
These factors got me thinking while I looked at my goals. I wanted to complete the first draft of the sequel to A Spy Like Me before summer vacation started. I realized that blog tours were a lot of work and it was all about me and my book. AND a blog tour and all the work involved don’t always translate over to sales.
But I really wanted to do something to celebrate my debut release.
So I decided on the reverse blog tour. I wanted to celebrate my genre, promote my brand and build awareness of A Spy Like Me. So I asked a mix of authors and bloggers to guest post for three weeks.
- I had fun because I wanted to do it.
- My blog hits definitely went up.
- I helped celebrate and promote authors and bloggers I like.
- I introduced new authors and books to readers.
- I introduced readers to A Spy Like Me.
Not to say I won’t do a traditional blog tour in the future. In fact, this fall when How To Survive Ancient Spells and Crazy Kings releases, I plan on organizing one.
What marketing strategies do you see that work or don’t work? How might you change it up?